Tuesday, July 5, 2011

It IS a problem!

Since my conversation with the DWW where I pointed out that the condescending tone used to address the employees might be part of the reason we react the way we do, the DWW has actually been semi-pleasant to me. Not nice, mind you, and CERTAINLY not normal, but a kind of quasi-decent where its just enough to make my work experience not horrible.

However, there have still been a few gems I thought the readers might enjoy.

1. I was asked to research a few video companies for a potential project,and I was told to go get the names of the companies from my coworker. So I go over there, and my coworker is already looking at them. We look at them together for a little bit, watch a promo video for one company, and then I go back to my desk and do a little of my own research on the companies. *ring ring* My coworker gets a call. It's HER! dun dun dun. My coworker begins discussing opinions and observations about the companies, and just in passing mentions that we had looked at the websites together briefly...AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Horror of all horrors! Two coworkers collaborating on a project!!! The world is going to self-destruct!!!

Oh, what do you mean that's not a normal reaction to two coworkers collaborating? Well, according to the DWW it's the only appropriate reaction.

Shortly after my coworker hangs up, clearly defeated, my phone rings. Again, dun dun dun. The DWW, with all the pleasantness one can muster, begins to tell me that I should not discuss assignments with coworkers because they are assigned for a specific reason. My work is none of my coworkers' business and vice versa. If I am told to get information from a coworker, I should get NOTHING but the SPECIFIED information and then move on. No discussion, no sharing of ideas and certainly no chit chat. I was pretty much instructed not to speak to my fellow employees unless the DWW said I could. So apparently it's marshal law/Nazi Germany in the office now...even though the DWW doesn't work out of the office, but from home.


2. The second event was minor, but just makes me laugh because it's so uncalled for. The DWW was out of town for a personal emergency. So yes, apparently the DWW is human and has friends. So I can appreciate that the DWW was emotionally distraught because of personal situations, but still... I was trying to be a good employee and keep my employer informed about our progress. I said we were missing some of the materials we were supposed to find from a previous project, but we were searching. I was immediately snapped at that I shouldn't tell the DWW that until I have some sort of solution. Wait, didn't you yell at me a few weeks ago for not checking in with you enough? And now you say I'm giving you TMI? Which is it friend?

So anyway, we all go looking for the materials in the office. We can't find them, but they are audio cd's which we can easily remake. No big deal right? WRONG!
I call the DWW back and say, "So we didn't find them, but we're just going to burn them again and it shouldn't be a problem." Just trying to be pleasant and positive.
The response? The DWW snaps, "Well it IS a problem. It IS a problem because it's MY property and its missing."
You know what? You're right. A few missing CD's burned from files on the computer is definitely a problem, like world hunger or homelessness, right? Totally worth getting upset about, right? This person really needs lessons in priorities, and probably some deep breathing exercises.

No comments: